Muslim Social Services –KW
Part-time Counsellor Position
Muslim Social Services of Kitchener Waterloo (soon to be Muslim Social Services of Region of Waterloo) is hiring a part-time counsellor (15 hours/week at $30 per hour). It will be an annual contract with possibility of renewal by mutual agreement.
The part time counselor is responsible to the executive director. Clinical supervision will be through the counselor and community engagement coordinator.
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitoring all the requirements of counselling practice in house as well as following best practices of administering counselling and psychotherapy to our clients from a culturally and spiritually sensitive perspective, making appropriate referrals and connections with partner organizations to ensure best services for our clients.
- Working with the MSS staff team to support counselling outreach efforts
- Provides counseling, therapy, and/or psychotherapy to clients and families as appropriate to the position; provides therapeutic crisis intervention and emergency services as required.
- Collects data about clients through intake-forms, interview, case history for organizational records; evaluates data to identify causes of problems and to determine proper therapeutic approach or referral to other specialists.
- Consults with other legal and service agencies and individuals in relation to client records, rights, and responsibilities; advocate on behalf of the client as needed to enable access to relevant services and support
- 4Consults with other therapists and related professional and paraprofessional staff, as appropriate, in the performance of therapeutic and/or casework; refers clients to appropriate service agencies as required.
- Follows up on care and services provided for effectiveness; makes recommendations regarding modification to services and service delivery.
- Works with ED to organize programming events, facilitate internal training for volunteers and staff, and external sensitivity training for community partners
- Work on building professional capacity by professional development opportunities, guidance, and mentoring provided.
- Networking and fostering with partner organizations
Education: A Master of Social Work or Psychology, or Psychotherapy degree is required. Eligible for supervised practice licensing with the College of Psychologists of Ontario or Ontario College of Social Service Workers and Social Workers.
Work Experience: two or more years providing psychotherapy, substantial experience utilizing a variety of treatment modalities in the field of Mental Health/Addictions Services particularly relating to people from marginalized communities. Understanding of the Islamic ways of healing. Any additional assessment courses and experience is preferred.
The counselor will be fluent in English and at least one other language spoken by Muslims in Waterloo Region.
Desired Skills / Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have the following desired skills and qualifications:
- Postgraduate degree or diploma in Counseling / psychotherapy, Social Services, or directly related Field.
- Directly related experience in the field, this may include internship and/or practicum
- Knowledge and understanding of social services and mental health counseling principles, methods, procedures, and standards; Familiarity with family law and children’s aid.
- Knowledge of case management.
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques and post-traumatic stress.
- Ability to maintain emotional stability to cope with human suffering, emergencies, and other stresses.
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to client’s rights.
- Knowledge of community social service resources.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience about anti-oppression, anti-racism framework
- Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops.
- Deep understanding of Muslim faith and culture.
- Generates new ideas and links and builds upon existing ideas and MSS programs to generate unique concepts and solutions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent planning, organization, problem-solving, decision-making and liaison skills.
- Counseling, assessments and group therapy skills.
- Excellent program evaluation skills.
- Ability to work independently while being capable of collaboration with diverse partners
- excellent case conceptualization skills and ability to form effective and culturally and faith sensitive therapeutic objectives for Muslim people.
- Knowledge of the treatment process and a variety of current treatment approaches including a mental health perspective, pre-treatment readiness, assessment and providing flexible programming to meet the needs of the client.
- Knowledge and the ability to work within a faith and culturally based and strengths-based perspective.
- Ability to develop and implement therapeutic programming.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Child and Family Services Act, the Mental Health Act and other related legislation.
- Sound knowledge of diverse Muslim cultures
- Understanding of the principal issues affecting Muslim youth in Canada
- Sound knowledge of Muslim resources and traditional influences that promote mental well-being of Muslim children/youth/families
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
The successful candidate will demonstrate they can uphold commitment for MSS’s values below:
- Inclusive: We are welcoming of everyone without judgment
- Grounded in faith: We recognize the importance of faith and spirituality in our work and in the lives of people we work with
- Social justice: We strive to work towards ending oppression and establishing justice in our communities
- Volunteer-driven: We value the contributions of our volunteers
- Trust: Confidentiality, integrity, and trust are crucial to all that we do
- Respect: We will work towards a common goal despite personal differences
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- a clean criminal record with a police check.
- ability to work flexible hours
- must possess a Class “G” Driver’s License and have access to a personal vehicle.
- complete and maintain certification relevant assessment tools.
- must maintain professional registration.
Salary: The pay will be $_30__ /hour for __15_ hours per week.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Letter of interest and resume should be sent to
Brice Balmer, vice-chairperson
Muslim Social Services
65 Hansen Avenue
Kitchener, Ontario N2C 2H6
Or emailed to email@example.com