Muslim Social Services Kitchener-Waterloo
Executive Director (Job Description)
- Fulltime, (37.5 hours weekly), 1 year term (possibility of renewal)
- Salary is $70,000, paid bi-weekly
- Start date: September 30, 2021 (or as negotiated with board)
- Benefits to be negotiate with the board
- Hours: 9 am- 4 pm and may require evening and weekend work
Job Purpose: The Executive Director is responsible for managing the organization’s operations and the administrative tasks to accomplish the goals set by the Board of Directors.
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Recruiting, training, and supervising all MSS staff, volunteers, and practicum students.
- Reviewing job descriptions and responsibilities of staff (counselors and community engagement workers)
- Organizing and scheduling administrative tasks and meetings.
- Ordering supplies or materials that will facilitate a smoothly running office and programs.
- Budgeting and bookkeeping, collaborating with accountant and finance committee on regular basis.
- Acting as a liaison between staff, volunteers, and board of directors and its committees.
- Working and communicating regularly with Board Chair to prepare for board meetings and the facilitate the implementation of the board’s work and strategic plan.
- Networking, liaising with partner organizations; community outreach through presentation, awareness training, and workshops.
- Grant-writing and organizing fundraising events.
- Developing and executing all MSS programs and projects.
- Writing monthly performance report of the organization and presenting it to the Board.
- Cooperating with all Board Members and creating an inclusive, involving, and transparent organizational culture.
- Responsible for web presence and social media of the organization
- Together with the Chair / President is the public face of the corporation.
- Supervises all staff. Counselor and community engagement staff person will do clinical supervision if counselor is not qualified.
- Researches and seeks opportunities and resources for ongoing organizational development.
Program Planning & Delivery:
- Prepares an annual operating plan in line with strategic priorities.
- Prepares or supervises funding requests to outside organizations and external funding bodies.
- Writes and renews organizational policies in conjunction with the board.
- Ensures that organizational policies are implemented.
- Preparing regular community updates, monthly newsletter, and annual report.
- Maintaining and updating the website. Using Mail Chimps program on regular basis.
- Managing and updating daily social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Hires, supervises, evaluates and provides direction as needed to all staff and volunteers.
- Establishes a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Coaches and mentors staff and volunteers as appropriate to improve performance.
- Disciplines staff and volunteers when necessary using appropriate techniques; release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures in consultation with the board.
- Creates an annual budget for approval by the board.
- Is responsible for the budget within policy limits.
- Consults with the Treasurer and Finance committee to update and consult on organizational finances regularly.
- Ensures all bookkeeping functions are carried out.
- Ensures the grant and funding management properly.
- Manages CRA account and responsibilities.
- Manages relationships and accountability with .
- Ensures that the organization has adequate insurance coverage for all appropriate areas of the organization.
- Works with staff and board to manage any issues of risk to participants,staff and the organization.
Community Relations & Advocacy:
- Coordinates the annual general meeting.
- Communicates with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization.
- Establishes good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
- Acts as the computer systems administrator.
- Maintains organizational records to build the institutional memory of MSS.
Desired Skills / Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have the following desired skills and qualifications:
- Master’s level in a related field of social services.
- At least two years of experience working in a non-profit / social services environment.
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial experience.
- Sound understanding of how boards work.
- Basic bookkeeping, grant-writing and fundraising experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of audience.
- Knowledge about social services in the Region of Waterloo.
- Understanding the premise of Islamic-based organizations and providing services accordingly.
- Enterprising spirit to facilitate the growth of a small organization.
- Passion for social change and community-building.
- Commitment to inclusion and anti-oppression principles.
- Ability to speak multiple languages preferred (Arabic, Urdu, Hindi, Somali, Turkish) Within the staff, volunteers, and board, Muslim Social Services attempts to have speakers who are fluent in all the languages spoken by Muslim communities within Waterloo Region.
- Deep understanding of Muslim faith and culture.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an appreciation for MSS’s values below:
- Inclusive:We are welcoming of everyone without judgment
- Grounded in faith:We recognize the importance of spirituality in our work and in the lives of people we work with
- Social justice:We strive to work towards ending oppression and establishing justice in our communities
- Volunteer-driven:We value the contributions of our volunteers
- Trust:Confidentiality, integrity, and trust are crucial to all that we do
- Respect: We will work towards a common goal despite personal difference
Send letter of introduction and resume to
Brice Balmer, vice chairperson
Muslim Social Services
65 Hanson Avenue
Kitchener, Ontario N2C 2H6
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org