Ramadan Food Drive
- As a part of MSS’ annual halal food assistance program, this food drive focuses on the month of Ramadan and is supported entirely by the donations of the Muslim community. Food is distributed during the month of Ramadan and throughout the rest of the year through local food hamper programs. MSS aims to provided halal food assistance that is appropriate for those in need and to raise awareness in mainstream organizations about halal food assistance.
With funds raised during the Ramadan Drive and additional donations, we:
- Gave gift cards to over 300 people in need, the majority of whom were newcomers to KW
- Served over 100 women and children an Eid dinner at Mary’s Place Shelter
- Provided Eid gifts for 32 Muslim children from single parent families
- Provided an additional 17 families in need with grocery cards on Eid
- Served over 70 people at a community iftaar at Chandler Mowat Community Centre
- Served Muslim women inmates at Grand Valley Institution an Eid celebration meal
- Contributed $1700 to the House of Friendship food hamper program for halal food
St. John’s Soup kitchen
- This program is a semi-annual contribution of the Muslim community to support the Working Centre food assistance program. This program aims to expand MSS outreach and awareness of Muslims and the gifts they have to offer in the community and strengthen our partnership with The Working Centre.
Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region
- “On behalf of Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region and our partner families, we sincerely thank you for your generous lunch donation on June 3rd to feed our hardworking volunteers. Your contribution has helped us provide hope for families in need in our local community. We hope to work with your wonderful organization again in the future” – Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region