Food Assistance Programs
Ramadan Food Drive
- As a part of MSS’ annual halal food assistance program, this food drive focuses on the month of Ramadan and is supported entirely by the donations of the Muslim community. Food is distributed during the month of Ramadan and throughout the rest of the year through local food hamper programs. MSS aims to provided halal food assistance that is appropriate for those in need and to raise awareness in mainstream organizations about halal food assistance.
Food Assistance and Outreach
St. John’s Soup kitchen
“Lots of the things we get from the food bank are pork. It is really wonderful to be able to tell [Muslim clients] on such and such a day we are serving a halal meal. It is always a pleasure, it’s been a pleasure getting to know. They have been coming [here] so long we do know it’s like we are old friends”
– Gretchen Jones, St. John’s Soup Kitchen
- This program is a semi-annual contribution of the Muslim community to support the Working Centre food assistance program. This program aims to expand MSS outreach and awareness of Muslims and the gifts they have to offer in the community and strengthen our partnership with The Working Centre.
The House of Friendship
“MSS has assisted in providing, helping provide halal foods for our food hamper. Being representative for an agency, specific to a community, that I can make if need referrals or receive information from to better serve our brothers and sisters from the Muslim community”
– Michael Hackbusch, House of Friendship
Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region
“On behalf of Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region and our partner families, we sincerely thank you for your generous lunch donation on June 3rd to feed our hardworking volunteers. Your contribution has helped us provide hope for families in need in our local community. We hope to work with your wonderful organization again in the future”
– Habitat for Humanity Waterloo Region