- Full time, 3 monthes contract(possibility of renewal)
- 35 hours/ week
- Start date: May 1, 2017
Job Summary: The Counsellor is responsible for providing social services to identified groups, individuals and families within applicable legislation in order to protect and improve the social well-being and functioning of families and individuals from a faith and cultural sensitive perspective.
Reports to: The program coordinator
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides counselling, therapy, and/or psychotherapy to clients and families as appropriate to the position; provides therapeutic crisis intervention and emergency services as required.
- Collects data about clients through intake-forms, interview, case history for organizational records; evaluates data to identify causes of problems and to determine proper therapeutic approach or referral to other specialists.
- Consults with other legal and service agencies and individuals in relation to client records, rights, and responsibilities; advocate on behalf of the client as needed to enable access to relevant services and support
- Consults with other therapists and related professional and paraprofessional staff, as appropriate, in the performance of therapeutic and/or casework; refers clients to appropriate service agencies as required.
- Follows up on care and services provided for effectiveness; makes recommendations regarding modification to services and service delivery.
- Works with the coordinator to organize programming events, facilitate public workshops
- Other duties may be assigned
Desired Skills / Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have the following desired skills and qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, or directly related Field.
- At least 2 years of directly related experience, this may include internship and/or practicum.
- Knowledge and understanding of clinical social work and mental health counseling principles, methods, procedures, and standards; Familiarity with family law and children’s aid.
- Knowledge of case management.
- Knowledge of clinical operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques and post-traumatic stress.
- Ability to evaluate the progress of therapeutic programs and to make individual modifications.
- Ability to maintain emotional stability to cope with human suffering, emergencies, and other stresses.
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to client’s rights.
- Knowledge of community social service resources.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience about counselling from and anti-oppression, anti-racism framework
- Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops.
- Expertise in conflict resolution and mediation.
- Knowledge of another language- preferably Arabic- is a strong asset
To apply: Email a cover letter and resumé to